2009 inaugural year for Sweetwater Adolescent Girls Program
Yes, you read correctly, it has been five years since Cottonwood Tucson introduced our restructured Sweetwater Adolescent Girls Program. It was March 2009 when we presented the new "look and feel" of Sweetwater and welcomed our first clients to our 90 day residential program for girls ages 13 -17.
|Sweetwater staff celebrates five years of patient care!|
On March 26, 2014, some of our Sweetwater Cottonwood Tucson staff joined together to celebrate the 5-year anniversary of the reopening of the Sweetwater Adolescent Girls Program.
It was announced at this gathering that one of Sweetwater’s first patients had recently called to report celebrating 5 years of sobriety. These success stories are a reminder of the great work we do at Cottonwood and are a tribute to our staff!
A brief overview of our Sweetwater Adolescent Girls Program
While the entire Sweetwater Program is about helping teen girls find recovery with addiction treatment and co-occurring disorder treatment if necessary, continuing each girl's scholastic curriculum is strongly emphasized. In this regard, Cottonwood is a member of the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs (NATSAP), additionally in 2010/2011 we were awarded the Excellence in Education Award from the Woodbury Reports.
The educational needs of each adolescent patient are thoroughly evaluated and thoughtfully considered as part of her participation in treatment. Sweetwater adolescent treatment program offers ongoing education provided by Desert Willow Educational Services, a certified school. The teacher from Desert Willow coordinates educational assignments with each patient's current school to determine educational direction while the patient is in treatment. Tutoring is offered twice weekly and educational credits are transferable.
The Sweetwater Program includes the following:
- Accredited school program, consisting of daily structured classroom hours and therapeutic curriculum consistent with educational standards.
- Psychiatric and Medical services
- Psychoeducational groups, including focus on addictions, mood disorders, trauma recovery, and eating issues.
- Wellness program, including a nutritional assessment and a fitness consult with ongoing evaluation of health/wellness needs
- Individual and Group therapy
- Intensive family program with parenting skills classes
- Equine assisted counseling
- Art therapy, recreational therapy, community outings, Challenge Course events
- Comprehensive aftercare plans
- Nursing coverage 24 hours a day
To learn more about our Sweetwater Program we invite you to preview our brochure and a typical weekly schedule.